2007년 3월 20일 화요일

Animal Farm #8









How does this book relate to the Russian Revolution?

George Orwell wrote his book, Animal Farm, to criticize Communism, especially the Russian Revolution. He actually was part of the communist members when the Russian Revolution had happened. The interesting fact that I found while I was reading this book is that each characters and events represent the people and events that were involved in Russian Revolution. To be honest, I heard a little about this book from a long time ago, that it signifies the Russian Revolution; however, by reading it through, I could organize the characters and refer to the people in the history of Russia. For instance, Jones Manor, who was the farm keeper of the Manor Farm, was a very harsh man who treated his animals with no respect and love. He always beat them up and didn’t give them food when he didn’t want to; this man can be referred to the last Czar of Russia named Nicholas 2, who was poor and cruel to his citizens. The Old Major, who died very fast in the beginning of the book, was the main person who actually came up with the idea, “Animalism”, which refers to Communism in the Russian Revolution. He insisted the animals in the farm that they should all be equal and work very hard. Nevertheless, a funny thing is that he didn’t even get to see the revolution of his farm because he died before the revolution. As I have explained above, the book definitely describes and signifies the Russian Revolution and its communist leaders and people. Overall, I was pretty impressed and surprised at how a story in a book can criticize or just tell about one historical event that happened in the past. Just like how the revolution of Russia did not work out very well, the whole idea of Animalism and the animals’ farm gets destroyed and humans come back to control over them again. Even though this book didn’t really have a happy ending to make me feel good, I felt like it taught and reminded me of lot of things. As I have heard in the past from Ms. Simpson, Communism works out fine on a paper logically, however, if this kind of idea is applied to our real life, it does not work very well and rips apart the good relationships and lives of people. Even though the whole story of Animal Farm was about these animals and humans fighting against each other and the pigs trying to rule over the others, it definitely made me think again of what Communism does to people and about the Russian Revolution that we have learned a little in Geography class.

댓글 없음: